Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Writing Cover Letters

The links that were provided were about how to write effective cover letters for resumes. I feel like the purpose of a cover letter is to introduce yourself as a potential employee for the company or school and to show why you are looking into the job. Also, I feel like this is the time to make similarities with the job description so that the human resource employee can see that you will fit the job well. You agree that it is a standard business letter and should address the target in such a manner. The body should bring up your attributes but the list form should be more for the resume itself, where as this is a time to really connect with the job description and job title itself and to make yourself to be THE ONE to fit the job. I also agree that you should follow-up with the employer to make sure that they received the documents needed and to see whether a further interview is needed.

I do not agree with using P.S. for emphasis because it seems informal. Also, I feel like the length should be appropriate to the job description and company/presentation and not "limited" to 3 paragraphs. Finally, I do not agree with adding in testimonials into your cover letter because it seems self-centered.

I feel like the most useful part of this tutorial is the section on "The Reality of Cover Letters" where it emphasizes how cover letters are sometimes over-looked and to make yours really stand out, to make the cover letter about the company and not yourself, and to not send out a mass of cover letters/resumes which shows rejection.

I know that I need to work on my cover letter and really focusing it on the company and how my credentials, knowledge, and background can benefit the company.

No comments:

Post a Comment