Monday, March 23, 2009

Miscommunication

I have experience miscommunication on a sports team while I was in high school. The scenario was that I was the captain of the girl's cross country team and I was to receive information about if we were to have practice on a rainy afternoon after school. There was miscommunication between me and the coach on whether we were to have practice because the decision kept changing or rumors from other captains told us that we were not going to have practice. I informed the rest of the team members that we were not going to have practice, but the coach intended us to have practice inside to avoid hazardous weather outside. When none of the captains or team members showed up, the coach called me to ask where everyone was and we were further punished for missing practice.

The miscommunication here could have been prevented if I had just gotten the direct decision from the head coach and therefore informed the team the final decision rather than make a captain decision when it is not my place or role.

Although this is a minor mix-up, I learned from it and will always go directly to the person of authority to get the correct answer, response, or decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment